• Home
  • sitemap
  • Feedback
Hisytory
 

History


As a result of the establishment of the Department of Agriculture at the national level and at the provinces, the realization that research and education are the very foundations for the development of agriculture dawned on the minds of the administrators, educationists, social reformers and thinkers. Mahatma Jyotiba Phule, the noted thinker, social reformer and agriculturist of Pune appealed to the British Government to set institutions for agricultural education and research in India. This led to the opening of a branch for teaching agriculture in the College of Science at Pune in 1879 that was subsequently developed into a separate College of Agriculture in 1907. Initially three year diploma of the Bombay University was offered. In 1899 a degree course leading to Licentiate in Agriculture (L.Ag.) was started. The Bombay University in the year 1909 further extended the scope of these studies, raised the standards and instituted the degree of Bachelor of Agriculture (B.Ag.). Its nomenclature was changed to Bachelor of Science in Agriculture [B.Sc.(Agri.)] and the first batch of graduates with this degree passed out in 1937.


The College of Agriculture, Pune is one of the first five agriculture colleges established in India. From its very inception, there has been a close co-ordination between research and teaching. After establishment of Maharashtra Agricultural University in the year 1968, the College of Agriculture, Pune was transferred to the University as a constituent college. In 1969, the College was transferred to the Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth (Agricultural University), Rahuri established in that year. The B.Sc.(Hort.) degree programme was started in the year 1984. The University headquarters are located in Rahuri, Dist. Ahmednagar 160 km to the north of Pune.


Historical Perspectives at Glance

1899

 Bombay University started Licentiate in Agriculture (L.Ag.) Degree Course.

1905

 A fine site of 150 acres of farm land selected close to the College of Science

1907

 College was housed temporarily in the building at Kirkee

1908

Starting of separate  College of Agriculture on January 01 1908 and Degree course of Bachelor of
Agriculture (B.Ag.)

1909

 Degree course of Bachelor of Agriculture (B.Ag.) recognized by Bombay University.
The construction of laboratory block completed where the Chemistry Section is now housed.

1911

 Construction work of main imposing building of the college was completed.

1916

 Post Graduate Degree course of Master of Agriculture (M.Ag.) was started.

1934

 The nomenclature of B.Ag. Degree was changed to Bachelor of Science in Agriculture B.Sc.(Agri.) degree.

1937

 First Batch of B.Sc. (Agri.) degree programme was passed out from the College of Agriculture Pune.

1948

 The college of Agriculture affiliated to the Poona University.

1950

 Four year degree programme after Matriculation was started.

1959

 Four year degree course in Agriculture was started after Pre- degree University  Examination of
Pune University.

1968

 The college was affiliated to the Maharashtra Agricultural University.

1969

 The college was constituent college of the Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth

1972

 Trimester System of education was started.

1976

 Semester system of education was started.

1980

 First batch of semester system obtained B.Sc. (Agri.) degree.

1983

 The RAWE programme was started in the VII semester of degree course.

1985

 Commencement of Postgraduate Degree Programme

2000

 Establishment of Hi-Tech Vegetable & Floriculture Project

2007

 Introduction of new syllabus & inclusion of Hands-on-Training and Experiential 
Learning programme in the final year of degree course.

2008

 Commencement of MBA in Agriculture

2008

 Establishment of Biotechnology and Bio-control Laboratories

 

 

Designed & maintained by Shivrai Technologies Pvt. Ltd.